la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

still

The world around me has been silenced as if stricken with awe by its Creator. His glory was revealed for hours on end as lighting danced its way through the night sky. The winds threatened all in its path and the thunder beckoned with its call. And then came the rain to drench the earth, satiating its need for replenishment. Down it came until it had finally had enough. And now, silence…

We all had fair warning of the storm coming through, but it seems so much larger than life when it actually hits. The clouds were moving in faster than I have ever seen, yet as we contemplated migrating to the basement, there was an unmistakable pull towards the windows and doors to watch it unfold. When the lights finally went, a slight scramble ensued as I had seemingly misplaced anything resembling a match. After solving that dilemma, we reverted back to the stone age as we sat in the living room talking life with our favorite people in our candle-lit shelter from the storm.

During my childhood years, I used to have such fear of any type of storm. It may have been due to the time the rain had washed part of a river bank away in the Fiji Islands as we were walking, and my dad and I took a spill down the river bank. I remember hating the rain that day. It also may have been due to the time a we trekked our way down into the crater of a volcano in Ecuador (as if standing on top of a heap of lava isn’t scary enough, which, by the way, blew its top only a few short years later), only to get stuck on the way out by a sudden ice storm which forced us to seek refuge under a large boulder to keep the rock avalanche that followed from impaling us. I definitely hated the ice that day. Or maybe it was the time the snow decided to fall in leaps and bounds before the eyes of someone who had never had to drive in such crazy weather conditions on her first day of work, and she ran inside with tears in her eyes, begging her husband to please take her (okay, so maybe this one wasn’t THAT long ago). I hated the snow, and Minnesota, that day for sure.

Tonight, though, there was no such fear. I was thrilled, actually. And all of the above only to record God’s whisper in my ear tonight, saying, “Erin, I am your peace in the midst of all things.” I heard it so loud and clear I turned to see who was talking to me. Wow. I needed to step outside to breathe it all in for a moment; to soak in His presence and allow myself to be amazed at the wonder of His creation.

What a storm can do for the soul. I could really get into watching them. I pray I am always quiet enough to hear that voice.

Thank you, God, for being my peace.

“Be still, and know that I am God…” Psalm 46:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home