la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

defensiveness

"Mommy, you have a really great memory. But sometimes you forget a lot of things."

This is an observation given to me by my son as we were driving earlier in the day. I laughed so hard with him, as he was simply stating the obvious, lacing in a few accompanying loving words so as not to make me feel bad. As I reflect on this statement, I realize how easy it is to accept a word of truth from such an innocent heart. On the other hand, had anyone else made such a simple observation, I am quite sure my defensiveness would have surely kicked in, making me blow out of proportion in some way or another what was intended to be mere cognizance. I would have turned facile statement into ployed criticism. This is something I seem to wrestle with on a consistent basis.

Constantly protecting myself from criticism, exposure of any shortcomings, or other real or perceived threats to the ego creates a wall between myself and anyone else. The more I learn to respond with this state of mind, the further I separate myself from experiencing authenticity with that person; not only that, but my own self assessment becomes skewed.

The opposite side to this is that so many times we speak harsher words to each other than should ever be muttered. Are we so flawed that we cannot manage take our selfishness out of the picture? As disciples, we need to be ever so aware of the intent behind our words and actions, or we create a reason for those we affect to be defensive.

Paul nails it when he says this in 2 Cor 12: "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

This is quite a feat to strive for. But can you imagine the power of a people whose words spoke nothing but truth in love? Can you fathom the freedom that would come in boasting of our weaknesses?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Good said...

Wow...you are certiannly baaaaack. Again this hit home hard. It's so hard for me to take 'Me' out of the picture. 'For My power is made perfect in Weakness' Wow that's powerful.

2/18/2006 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home