la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Friday, December 23, 2005

hello mr. winston

My husband just surprised me tonight with a beautiful gift, exquisite and multifaceted in an element all its own. And while there may very well have been a Harry in the audience, I am referring to having the pleasure of seeing George Winston in concert. He is hands down one of my top two favorite current pianists of our time.

It all began after rushing out of rehearsal for tomorrow's service down to Orchestra Hall in the cities. Not even having time to stop anywhere for a quick bite to eat, our elegant evening kicked itself off in the McDonalds drive thru. This was followed by a realization that Peter had forgotten his change of clothes in his car, therefore making my decision to change my attire one of compromise in our car/dressing room. These things, along with my husband's crazy sense of humor and many long laughs, set our evening up for perfection. And so, in we walked hand in hand in our jeans.

Good ol' George did not disappoint. As I had not yet seen him live, I was even more awe struck at this man's ability to make a Steinway Concert Grand sound more fabulous than I thought possible. It is as if the keys are simply an extension of his fingers, each willed to play with a brief brain signal. I was aware that Peter picked up on this same thing after he leaned over during one song featuring stride piano and said, "I know how he does it. He has eight fingers on each hand!" He is truly phenomenal. He also played a couple select numbers of slack key guitar, as well as one piece on the harmonica. It is a pleasant feeling to walk out of something with a greater appreciation than you had for it when walking in. So thank you, Mr. Winston, for a fantastic evening.

Even greater thanks to my husband for this wonderful gift. Thank you for supporting and sharing my passions and dreams in life; for sacrificially showing your love every day that goes by. And thanks, of course, for making me laugh the way you do; I have yet to meet someone that even comes close. It was, indeed, a perfect gift. I love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home