la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Friday, February 10, 2006

jumping on jesus

Most every day for the last couple of months finds me in awe of the complexities of the maturing thoughts that run through my son's mind. Many of these have had something to do with the things of God. I find myself encouraged in that though the negative responses to parenting seem to sometimes outweigh the positives, the positives shine so very bright. This is something I have mentioned previously, but more importantly something I don't want to forget.

I gave Devin a consequence earlier this afternoon for reasons that now elude me. He had to go to his room and sit in his chair to contemplate the meaning of his four year old life, and when he had it all figured out, he was to tell me so I could excuse him from his room. I was nearby when I heard him start to call out, "Jesus. Jesus... Jesus? JESUS??" which was then followed by much of the same, the volume and intensity heightening with each word. It turned into a pattern interrupted by shortness of breath... "JE - ee - ee -SUS!! JE - -SUS!" I knew then that he was jumping on his bed. This spell finally ended with a loudly dramatic and frustrated, "Huummpphh!!" followed by a big plop and then silence.

When the time had passed, I called him into my room and asked him what he had been thinking. I should preface his response by saying that we have had much discussion as of late regarding the Trinity, location of heaven, location of Jesus and His daddy God, et cetera et cetera. Jesus is number one on his radar, with due reason, of course, as most stories he hears have to do with His life. He said something along these lines....

"Mommy, Jesus is always with me, right?...Jesus is everywhere, right, he is just invisible?... Jesus is even on my bed, right?...Well, mom, I can't find Him. I was calling Him and he didn't answer. I even jumped on Him and He still didn't say anything....Is it bad to jump on Jesus?"

The boys and I then took a nap, and I smiled to myself knowing my son is searching for Jesus everywhere. He will surely find Him, very possibly on his bed...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'll be so glad to have all these stories when he's older and can laugh at himself. I remember Camie's mom used to have a journal with funny things we said or words we made up and it was so fun to read once we got older

2/24/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger The Charlebois said...

That is such a sweet story.
Sometimes it feels as if God is hiding right in front of us. We know He's there, but can't see Him...often because we lack the discipline to focus.
Devin's 4-year-old mind may not be able to sit still long enough to maintain that focus. But he knows Jesus is there, he believes it, and as he continues his search, he will find Him.

2/26/2006 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home