la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, October 29, 2005

navidades

I went on a late night run to our local Target with D tonight, and was completely overwhelmed by the massive quantity of product they sell. I am aware that this would appear to be an every day byproduct of what I call the "Target Temptation", but tonight was quite different. Each shelf was absolutely jammed packed with junk; junk I hate to love, but junk nonetheless. All of the newest technology was out on display, and brand new interactive marketing tools were hung for all to indulge in. Even the top shelves were towering with stacks upon stacks of stuffed Tiggers, talking Yodas, & dress-up Doras. Ah yes, the holiday season is near.

Keeping in mind the fact that I have had money on the mind, I had an epiphany. Take a seat and buckle up...this one is monumental: What in the world do I need in this store? What in the world does anyone else I know need from this store? (Aside from the pack of CD-Rs to burn for tomorrow's practice) Absolutely nothing. And it takes me back...

There is very little I remember of gifts I have received for Christmas throughout the years of my childhood. This is not because I did not receive them, but rather was obviously more affected by the occurrences that surrounded those times more than anything else. I am feeling the need to incorporate similar events in the life of my young family. Both I am inspired to write of have to do with the back of a truck...

One tradition was to gather with our closest friends in a time of fellowship and thanksgiving before going out caroling among the neighborhoods of Quito. It was as if the love that we knew so deeply could do nothing but pour out of us. We truly were a beautiful chorus. Nevermind the fact that the older I got, the further I blended in to the back row. Or the fact that I began to refuse to wear the matching sweatshirts. (All in love, mom & dad!) I mean, lets get real - a teenager must maintain some sense of dignity.

Another tradition was to assemble hundreds of navidades, which literally means "Christmases". They were typically a small, colorful plastic bag filled with a pancito (small roll), una fruta (a piece of fruit) & unos caramelitos (some candy). We would then ride to find what we thought to be the most suited location and begin to hand them out by the bag full to children, mothers, & fathers galore. We would typically mark their hands with a smiley face and say a few words such as "Que Dios le bendiga" (God bless) or "Cristo te ama" (Jesus loves you). When I was young, I truly felt I was living out what I thought comparable to a feeding of 5,000. I can vividly remember the face of one mother who came back in a line three different times. She may have thought we wouldn't remember a face, but she didn't know I had the eyes of a hawk and would watch in awe as she would go to a nearby stream to scrub the marker off of her hand, only to get back in the long line again to receive a mere plastic bag of a few things. I'm sure she could have left it on and been able to get another bag or two. However, the lessons I learned from instances such as these marked important algorithms to my life procedures.

I do not believe there is one very defined way to live out what Christmas really means, or every day of my life, for that matter, aside from the obvious mission. I do not intend to belittle family tradition centered around gift-giving. I would just hope that there is some consideration before swiping the card.

So to you, whoever you are, let us hand out Christmas this year. More than anything else, may we freely share the light and love of our Savior.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Good said...

Amen, my goal personally this year is to ask everyone...to give any gift that costs $ to someone who needs it more than I. Then tell me about it...that just sounds exciting to me. I really want to get back to the basic's with Christmas and restore the Mystery and Holyness of it.

10/30/2005 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear darling daughter,
Reading this brought back some of my favorite memories of Christmas in Ecuador. I have been praying that we will be able to spend Christmas with you, Pete, Devin and Jaden this year, but regardless of where we are or who we're with, may we all strive to share the light and love of our Savior! Missing you, Mom

11/03/2005 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home