la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, October 23, 2005

indescribable

I'm sorry, but I just have to say that John Mayer is amazing. He is an incredible writer; I would define his art as fluidity at it's finest. His prose seems to drop just so into the smoothness of the music, much like a drop of water falling onto an otherwise glass-like surface sends intricate ripples through the water, bringing life, depth, and movement to what was already there. I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you don't enjoy listening to him, or at least have an appreciation for his musicianship, you have misplaced some part of your brain. Please go find it. (Let's just call this my "currently listening" meaningless intro)

I believe this will end up being the culmination of events of this weekend, for lack of a better thematic element.

On Friday I was more mommy than anything else. We had a relaxing morning at home, but decided to venture out to get some tasks accomplished in the afternoon. Of course, as I have yet to figure out a predictable schedule, I did not get one thing done that I had set out to do. Barnes & Noble's children's section was fortunate enough to be graced by our visitation rights as we sat for almost 2 hours reading a plethora of books. Devin's new favorite was anything that read "Chicken Little". Jaden was chill as always. Pete came to meet us, and we headed up to hang out with friends; he partied with the boys at a men's event, & us girls and moms did what we do best. It was a relaxing night of fellowship. Our family's longest laughing spell of the month occurred this day due to Peter's crazy life meanderings of things he would like to excel at, and the way it happened to play out. (what else)

Saturday began with band practice in the morning. God is doing some awesome things in our midst, so it was fun to gather with a new group of people to see what we could offer Him. I then accompanied some friends on a brief shopping stint, finished the errands I had set out to do the day before, and got home to get ready to go for a night out.

This evening deserves its own paragraph. We, along with our buds Brenton & Steph, left all 4 of our kids in someone else's care and made ourselves look a little more presentable than normal. This is a rarity. We could have done anything at all, really, and I'm sure it would still have had it's own paragraph. We were able to go out for a nice dinner before heading off to an evening of worship with the Indescribable tour consisting of Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, and Louie Giglio. Of special note was Louie's message followed by Tomlin playing us out with some of my favorite worship songs. When I am able to get out of the norm and simply take it all in, I tend to take on less of a participatory role and really try to learn as much as I can by what I observe and by what I understand relevant to what God is trying to teach me. There were some definite moments of worship towards the end, though, and simply being in awe of the love that surrounds me is worship in and of itself. I can never get sick of saying that I am blessed.

I suppose it is technically yesterday morning by now, but I have yet to end the day, so will simply call it Sunday. I awoke early as usual to prep, got through another great practice, and then executed and finished off our service. As it is "Pastor Appreciation Month", we were able to honor the tremendous leaders that I am fortunate enough to serve alongside. The rest of the day was spent with both friends we love knowing and friends we are loving getting to know. And as I sit here, I am realizing that I still have room left in me for more. This, too, is a rarity at the end of a few full days.

In retrospect, I am in a stage of life in which I am excited for what each new day has in store. I am slowly learning how to decrease the importance of my life, and am becoming increasingly aware of His work around me. I have such a long road ahead, but know that He is faithful. I was told today by someone whose opinion I greatly value that I appeared to be "fired up" as I lead worship. Way more encouraging than "it was good today". Who in the world cares? Man, do I wish I could emanate passion on a regular basis; not for my own sake, but all for His glory. I AM fired up, and I pray that it is He who fills the voids and expands my capacity for living every day for a long, long time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When next you visit me I will let you read the letter that was penned within the Albert Schweitzer reading. I have never shared it with anyone else. I am witnessing your spiritual growth.Thank you for sharing those most innermost thoughts.nj

10/24/2005 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When next you visit me I will let you read the letter that was penned within the Albert Schweitzer reading. I have never shared it with anyone else. I am witnessing your spiritual growth.Thank you for sharing those most innermost thoughts.nj

10/24/2005 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the link to the Tupperware site! you rock friend, and I like the blog!

10/25/2005 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, a daily dose of this kind of writing could be good for the soul. Erin thanks for blessing others (including myself) with your creativity, but mostly with your soul. You have a beautiful soul!!! Thanks for being a good friend too!

John T.

10/26/2005 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home