la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Friday, October 21, 2005

the strong-willed child

I finished Dr. James Dobson's The New Strong-Willed Child tonight. Good read. Thanks, mom! Ultimately, I was encouraged by it. Dobson has some great things to say regarding parenting and disciplining techniques, as well as good stories and encouragement in the process. The man definitely has some great experience to share with the world. But more than anything, I am feeling incredibly proud to be a mother. Is it because I have the most obedient child in the world? Nope. Is it because I have motherhood all figured out? Oh yeah - must be. Or not. It is because I am so proud of my sons. Jaden is an amazing baby boy; it is indescribable to see life evolve so quickly right before your eyes. Four months bring more change than seems possible. I will have as much to write about him as I do about his big brother. This book made me think about Devin more than anything, hence the title. My strong, beautiful boy.

The "wild and woolly will" is a crazy thing one must deal with in their children. Giving up and in are easy outs off the rollercoaster ride of emotions that this journey takes you on. But just as He never gives up on us, we never give up on them. It's amazing how easy it is to forget any of the tough times moments after they arise. I have come off of a particularily rough time with Devin throughout all the life change that has gone on in our lives in the past few months. Yet the light that shines in him seems to be growing brighter each time I sit to contemplate it. I have seen a mind in this child that has such an awareness and keen understanding for life, beyond that which would seem fathomable for a 3 and a half year old. My responsibilty to facilitate growth in this respect is a huge task...In closing, Dobson references 3 John 4 which says this: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth". This statement rings loud and clear. If I do nothing else for them as a mother, yet they grow to love and serve Christ, I have served my purpose. They will have everything they need.

Devin made this comment the other day; he sure knows how to pull out one-liners. When asked what he was doing as he had his arms wrapped around himself, appearing to be giving himself a painful hug, he replied with this: "I am trying to squeeze Jesus out". Sure, the logistics may be a little off, but there is so much that is right. And so much that makes me the proudest mother of 2 little boys, strong-willed or not.

I love you both so very much!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear darling daughter,
Your're welcome for the book. Seeing these pictures has just made me the happiest Grandma in the world! It makes me want to hop on the next flight to Minnesota and continue my job as gas master (a title which Pete gave me last summer). I feel blessed to have two of the cutest grandsons in the world! Much love, Mom
P.S. I have no greater joy than to know that you are walking in the truth!

10/27/2005 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home