la vida es bella

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me...I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:12-14

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota, United States

Friday, November 04, 2005

simple: simply simplify

I was able to talk on the phone with my mom tonight for a nice long time; so refreshing! It is incredibly hard to be without the physical presence of those you love so much, but it makes it that much better when there is any form of contact that takes place.

One of our topics of conversation had to do with everything revolving around simplifying life. Some advice she gave me tonight was something like this: "Simplify whenever you can. Always reevaluate the things you feel you need as well as the things you feel you should be living without." This was good for me to hear, as well as encouraging, as we are in the process of figuring some of this out as it pertains to our lives in our current situation. At the same time, though, as these thoughts have been processing throughout the course of the night, I still find it so incredibly difficult to discern and differentiate the importance of some of the 'stuff'.

Something I must be very careful with is an easy assumption in my own head that because I live in the U.S. now, I am automatically entitled to more 'things'. Granted, it may seem to be true due to miles of highway, the ease of a home purchase, a plethora of grocery options, a need for a seasonal wardrobe, and the list goes on. It gets imprinted fairly easily as I am surrounded by much more materialism that I have been accustomed to. Yet, I find myself questioning the relativity of it all when I break it down to the basics.

My family has been living in an actual house for the first time in many, many, many years. Actually, I think for the first time ever. It is beautiful and was a perfect solution a short while ago. They are now simplifying and moving back into an apartment close by, as location was a key to their previous move. There is no apprehension at all, but rather excitement for what lies ahead (except for the packing, of course. Wish I could be there to help, mom!) This is great for me to live though, even though I am not very involved in the process.

I am thankful to be on a continual learning curve as change surrounds my life; I pray I am open to it as seasons come and go. I am grateful for the challenges that I have been through already, as well as those that are to come. Also, I am blessed to continue to have examples set for me by my parents. Thanks, guys!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear darling daughter, I enjoyed talking to you as well. It was a gift that I gave myself that day! I wish you could be here to help too. I remember feeling that I barely survived our last move and it was during summer vacation. So please pray for me during this month. It will be a challenge because my job is more demanding this year. But I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength! Love, Mom
P.S. I'm proud of you.

11/06/2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger - e - said...

Love you too, mom. I will be praying; always praying. Just wait until we are able to talk for free! Oh man...

11/06/2005 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home